After a bit of startup struggling, I think I’m finally on track with the Ultimaker. To be fair, said struggling was mostly my own damn fault. Sigh…
In particular, the Z axis was really torturing me for a while by skipping steps occasionally. I stared long and hard at the mechanics, trying to spot some problem; I tweaked the Z Pololu pot several times; I pulled apart and scrutinized the duct designed to keep the Pololu’s cool; I put the machine up on books to encourage more airflow; I spent a lot of time staring at gcode and the firmware and the effects of things like Fillet (which seems to break up Z moves).
Then, after begging for help in the Ultimaker google group, Martijn Elserman simply says: “Did you put some grease on the thread already?”
Uh.. I was supposed to grease that? Ok.. Hey, it works now! Crap. I’m sure there’s a lesson to be learned here but I’m not sure what it is.
Anyway, here’s a picture:
(click picture to see bigger version at flickr)
This is the Tornado by Martijn and it pretty much uses up ALL the Z space on the Ultimaker. The build platform is sitting right on the bottom of the machine and there’s about 2-3mm of space between the top of the tornado and the nozzle. Tight fit! It’s 0.25mm layers with 1.5 w/t. Print time was around 80-90 minutes, IIRC.
So.. Bit of struggling at the start but I seem to be on track now. That it happily printed a ~90 minute job (after I stopped being stoopid) almost right out of the box is something I’m pretty happy about..